Friday, January 9, 2009

They Said What?

I am back from vacation and excited about the New Year and new adventures. I have had the chance to eat out a couple of times over vacation and we all know how difficult that can be. I am often faced with questions and statements that are mind boggling. I thought I would post a few of the ones that I have heard form waiters/waitresses after I have explained my allergies thouroughly and have given them my allergy card.

1. Hey I am lactose intolerant also!

2. Oh they put butter/ cheese on it? Here let me scrape it off.

3. You don't have to worry about your allergies your pasta becuase there is only a little bit of butter and cheese.

4. Here you go (placing the dish in front of me covered in butter) you are all set, we used clarified butter so there would be no dairy allergens.

5. Are you trying to lose weight?

Then there is always the sighing or eye rolling which is always such a treat to deal with. We can all try to make our outings as safe and easy as we can but we are often up against uniformed wait staff. I always travel with some snacks in my bag and I have opted out of dinner and had a fruit plate because I just did not feel comfortable.

Now I have had some great experiences at restaurants and I am always very thankful and a repeat customer. But for those of you who have had to deal with any of the comments above or have a few new ones from your own expriences, it does feel good to vent to those who understand!

Here is to a New Year and increasing awareness and education about food allergies.
Patsy :-)

No comments: